Frequently Asked Questions

What qualifies as a controlled burn?

A controlled burn is a fire consisting of brush, leaves, or other natural material, that is purposely set by the property owner or authorized representative. The fire must be watched and remain under control the entire time. No other material, such as oil, trash, furniture, tires, or other non-natural material may be burned. Each municipality has specific ordinances related to controlled burns in their jurisdiction. The District requires anyone conducting a controlled burn to have a valid burning permit and follow state, local and District regulations. Any non-natural object(s) being burned is considered an illegal burn. Illegal burns are subject to charges and fines. 

Do I call the fire station to report an emergency?

No, dial 9-1-1 for emergencies. The 9-1-1 Communication Center in Janesville, WI receives all emergency calls in Rock County. They then dispatch the department responsible for the area the call came from. 

What are the restrictions / regulations for controlled fires within the city limits of Edgerton?

The City of Edgerton allows only small cooking campfires that are no larger than a 5 foot x 5 foot area. No leaves, rubbish, large bonfires, etc... are allowed within the city limits. The fire department will respond for such violations and bill $500.00 to the party responsible for the violation(s). 

Do I have to report all controlled burns, even if it's small?

No, you are not required to report it as long as you have a valid burning permit from the District and follow all the guidelines, rules and regulations.

How do I get a permit for a controlled burn?

You can obtain a burning permit from this website, or call the District at (608) 884-3327, or you can stop by the District office at 617 N. Main St. in Edgerton between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.

When is the best time to reach a person at the fire station?

The fire stations are staffed 24 hours a day, every day of the year, however personnel may be out on a call, doing an inspection or at a training. The District Headquarters office is staffed from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. You may leave a message after hours by calling (608) 884-3327.

Why does a fire truck respond if I just call for the ambulance?

A fire engine is automatically dispatched along with an ambulance for more serious medical emergencies, such as a cardiac arrest or someone is not breathing, to assist the paramedics with life-saving procedures. An engine is also dispatched as a first response if the closest ambulance is already on another call, and can begin giving care until the next closest ambulance can arrive. An engine does not respond on the more routine, or non-life threatening, medical calls.

Who should I contact regarding billing questions?

Edgerton Fire Protection District uses an outside billing company named Lifequest Technologies. Any questions should first be addressed to Lifequest Technologies at 1-888-777-4911. If your question is not answered, you are welcome to call the District Headquarters at (608) 884-3327, and ask to speak to a chief officer.